Welcome to "The Scott's Scoop." The purpose of this blog is to share with family and friends the daily news and happenings of our family. If you're interested in what's going on in the Scott family, then you are welcome to "follow" along with us.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Genetic Testing Results

The Good News:
I do not carry an inherited gene mutation for BRCA1 or BRCA2 which causes an increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer. This is good news for my children because if I don't have it, then they don't have it! The majority of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer is due to an alteration or mutation in either the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes. These mutations can be inherited from either your mother or father. My recent genetic testing for this gene mutation result was:  Negative! This means that my chance of breast cancer recurrence or for ovarian cancer is significantly reduced.

The Bad News:
I still have the same Ductal Carcinoma In Situ diagnosis which does increase my risk for invasion and recurrence and I still have to have some type of surgery. I'm still considering my options and taking the advice of the breast oncology surgeon to see a plastic surgeon and consider a mastectomy with reconstruction, or even a double mastectomy with reconstruction. It looks like these are my two best options considering the location, size, and chance of recurrence.

No comments: